SEN and Disabilities

What is the SEND Local Offer?

The government has listened to what parents say about their experience of services and have put in place a number of things to bring about improvements. One of these is the ‘Local Offer’.  In 2012 the former Children’s Minister Sarah Teather explained that:

“The current system is outdated and not fit for purpose. Thousands of families have had to battle for months, even years, with different agencies to get the specialist care their children need. It is unacceptable they are forced to go from pillar to post, facing agonising delays and bureaucracy to get support, therapy and equipment”.

“It is a huge step forward to require health, education and care services work together. The reforms will give parents better information and a comprehensive package of support that meets their needs”.

Local authorities and other services will set out a local offer of all services available to support children who are disabled or who have SEN and their families. The local offer will enable families to understand what services they can access and what support they can expect from a range of local agencies, including from the local authority, health services, schools, leisure services and the voluntary sector. The offer will include provision from birth to 25, across education, health and social care.

The potential outcomes of the Local Offer are:

  • To provide clarity and confidence for parents.
  • To support earlier intervention.
  • To reduce the need for assessment.
  • To identify need and gaps in provision.
  • To provide an evidence base for improving progress and securing better outcomes, at school and local level.

Grange Lane Infant Academy SEND Local Offer

All Delta schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities and are supported by the Local Authority to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school. All school are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible, where families want this to happen.

Frequently Asked Questions

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND)?

What are the different types of support available for children with SEND in Grange Lane?

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s learning in school?

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Educational Needs and/or Disability (SEND)?

Class/subject teacher:

Responsible for:

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be things like targeted work, additional support) and letting the Inclusion Manager and SENCO know as necessary.
  • Writing an Individual Education Plan(IEP), and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each team and planning for the next term.
  • Ensuring that all staff working with your child in school are able to deliver the planned work/programme for your child, so they can achieve the best possible progress. This may involve the use of additional adults, outside specialist help and specially planned work and resources.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEND Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEND

 Pastoral Manager - Mrs Shaw:

Responsible for:

  • Supporting parents of children with additional needs
  • Attending meetings with parents
  • Liaising with agencies such as the Children’s Centre to provide support for parents
  • Signposting parents to appropriate training and courses

Assistant SENCO - Mrs Jones:

Responsible for:

  • Coordinating all the support for children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and developing the school’s SEND Policy to make sure all children get a consistent, high quality response to meeting their needs in school.
  • Updating the school’s SEND register (a system for ensuring all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that there are excellent records of your child’s progress and needs.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school so they can help children with SEND in the school achieve the best progress possible.

Ensuring that you are:

  • Involved in supporting your child’s learning.
  • Kept informed about the support your child is getting.
  • Involved in reviewing how they are doing.

Principal & Strategic Lead for Inclusion - Mrs Chappell

Responsible for:

  • The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • Passing on the duties to the SENCO and the class teachers but they are still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • Making sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about any issues in school relating to SEND.

SEND Governor -Joanne Bent

Responsible for:

  • Making sure that the necessary support is made for any child who attends the school who has SEND.

What are the different types of support available for children with SEN in Grange Lane?

Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching also known as Quality First Teaching

For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher had the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • At times the teacher may direct the class based Teaching Assistant to work with your child as part of normal working practice.
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCO or outside staff) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • All children in school should be getting this as part of excellent classroom, practice when needed.
  • Specific group work with in a smaller group of children.

This group, often called intervention groups by schools, may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside.
  • Run by a teacher or most often a Teaching Assistant who has had training to run these groups.

This means they have been identified by the class teacher as needing some extra support in school-supported at School Action-to be replaced in September 2014 by the title “SEN support”

For your child this would mean:

  • He/she will engage in group sessions with specific targets to help him/her to make progress.
  • A learning Support Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run these small group sessions using the teacher’s plan.
  • This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.

Specialist groups run by outside agencies e.g. Speech and Language therapy or Occupational therapy groups

SEN Support

This means they have been identified by the SENCO as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as ASD Outreach or Sensory Service (for pupils with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher or SENCO (or you will have raised your own concerns) as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups.
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs betters and be able to support them better in school.

The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
  • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise.
  • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group.
  • A group or individual work with outside professional.

The school may suggest that your child needs some individual support in school.  They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.  This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Specified Individual support

This is usually provided via a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher or SENCO as needing a particularly high level of support or small group teaching (the amount of hours will be specified by a Statement of Special Educational Needs), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need support from professional outside the school. This may be from:

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.

After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all the professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this , they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus

After the reports have all been sent to the Local Authority (L.A). The L.A will then decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need more specified extra support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write a Statement of Special Educational Needs or Education health Care Plan (EHCP). If this is not the case they will ask the school to continue with the support at School Action Plus and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.

The Statement or ECHP will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.  The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmers or run small groups including your child.

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are:

  • Severe, complex and lifelong
  • Need more than a specified number of hours support in school

How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the SENCO or Head Teacher.
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school SEND Governor.

How will the school let me know if they have concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may receive.

For independent information please contact the Local Authority’s Families information are a central point of information, advice and support for families with children and young people from 0-19 years.

Special Educational Needs Provision

This provision supports children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. Please see the Inclusion policy for more details.

Early Intervention

The academy recognises that the early identification of a student’s special

educational needs together with appropriate multi-disciplinary intervention

should reduce the need for more intensive support later in the student’s

school life.

In working towards this principle, the academy will ensure that:

  • Academy staff  work closely with Junior school colleagues

on transition and accessibility;

  • There will be clear referral routes for staff who wish to bring to the notice

of the SENCo a student who may be having special educational needs;

  • Every consideration will be given to the views of parents/carers in the

assessment and decision making process. Students with SEN will also be

consulted whenever possible; and

  • Procedures for inter-service and cross-agency referrals will be actively

   used and reviewed regularly.


The academy will endeavour to remove barriers to learning by:

  • Making adaptions to the curriculum and teaching
  • Giving pupils access to ancillary aids and assistive technology
  • Where necessary, changing the learning environment to meet pupil’s needs 

Assessing and Reviewing Progress and Provision

Each child on the SEND register will have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) and/or a Care Plan. The IEP will include personalised targets which will be worked on in class, individually or in small groups. Each term ( or sooner if necessary), pupils’ IEP targets are reviewed, shared with parents and new targets set. Parents are given a copy of the IEP to take home and ideas of how to support their child. The provision for each pupil is also reviewed at least termly and necessary adaptions put in place. This provision is constantly evaluated to ensure it meets the needs of all the children and that all children have access to facilities and extra-curricular activities.


The Inclusion Manager will ensure smooth transition between all phases of education from entering nursery to leaving our school at the end of Year 2.

As children enter the nursery, we will liaise with parents/ carers and any childcare settings that the child may have attended. The Inclusion manager will then put in place any necessary adaptions to the provision prior to children entering our school.

Similarly, when children move to full- time school, extensive transition is in place so that this is a smooth process. Again, parents are involved at every stage and support is put in place according to the needs of the children. This continues as children move through our school into Key Stage 1, with adaptions and changes taking place as necessary.

As children are ready to leave our school, the Inclusion Manager liaises with the Junior school (and other schools if the children are not attending Pheasant Bank). Children with additional needs are given the opportunity to visit their school more frequently and again parents are involved at every stage. Any necessary adaptions are put in place and the class teachers are informed about the children’s learning needs.

Staff training and expertise

There is regular training for staff in order to meet specific needs. Strong links have been made by the Inclusion manager with outside agencies to support children further-for example Occupational therapy, Physiotherapy, Longtoft ARC, Woodfield Speech and Language ARC and the ASD team. Future training is based upon both staff requirements and the needs of the children in the school.

Supporting Emotional and Social development

This is part of the curriculum in both the Foundation Stage and Key Stage1. But for those children with difficulties in this area extra support is in place with extra pastoral support arrangements. For example, we now have an empathy room where children can go for 1:1 support or group interventions.